What is Pañcakarma (पञ्चकर्म)?
Pañca means “five” and karma means “action”.
Pañcakarma refers to the five actions used to purify and maintain a healthy, balanced body throughout the seasons.
The five actions are:
- Vamana / Emesis
- Virecana / Purgation
- Nasya / Sinus cleansing
- Basti (Vasti) / Enema
- Raktamokṣaṇa / Blood cleansing
Why study Pañcakarma at Shri Kali Ashram?
- To deepen your understanding of how to apply tantric yoga principles to your life
- To assist you to teach Āyurvedic lifestyle in-depth, which will enhance your students' practice and daily experience
Many treatments are available for you both to learn to give and to receive according to your diagnosis by our resident doctor. The treatment above is called Netra Tharpanam. During this procedure, black gram paste is molded around the eyes to form a barrier for warm ghee to be poured into the hollows around the eyes. This therapy alleviates stressed eyes, prevents eye diseases, and strengthens the nerve in the retina.
Duration: 3 months
The course is a 6 months course condensed into 3 months. Students are expected to attend the full length of the course. The required attendance is part-time three days a week totalling 9.5 hours each week for three months. There will be a final test that lasts three days on the 3rd month of the course. Passing grade is a minimum score of 50%. The diploma will be issued after a period of 6 months, if the student has passed the final exam. This delay is due to the requirements of the issuing body.
Times offered: 1 November, 2018 to 28 January 2019, 1 February to 28 April 2019, 1 April to 28 June 2019
PLEASE NOTE: The Pañcakarma course is offered as a supplement and added benefit for the students of Shri Kali Ashram. As such, this qualification can ONLY be completed in tandem with any of the Yoga Alliance USA Tantra Yoga Teacher Training Courses we offer. All students of Shri Kali Ashram are eligible.
Requirements for Study:
- Enrolment in a course of study at Shri Kali Ashram
- Copy of your passport and Cambodian visa
- Three passport photos
- Copy of a diploma or certificate of completion of 10th Standard or higher qualification
- Application form - this will be filled out by hand upon arrival
- Course fees of 250 USD
- Āyurvedic Physiology / kriyā śarīra क्रिया शरीर that covers the following topics: doṣa दोष, dhātu धातु, mala मल, agni अग्नि, kośa कोश, prakṛti प्रकृति, pañcamahābhūta पञ्चमहाभूत, ritucaryā ऋतुचर्या, and dinacaryā दिनचर्या
- Anatomy / racanā śarīra रचना शरीर that covers: bones, muscles, blood supply and the major structures
- Basic pharmacology / bhaiṣajya kalpanā vijñānam भैषज्य कल्पना विज्ञानं that covers: dravyaguṇa vijñānam द्रव्यगुण विज्ञानं (rasa रस / taste, vīrya वीर्य / potency).
Dr. Arun and his Assistants
Biography of Dr. Arun:
Dr. Arun was born and raised in Calicut, Kerala, the heartland of traditional Āyurveda. He has been traditionally trained by his father and grandfather, with further accredited study from Dhanwantari Āyurvedic Medical College and Research Center, governed by the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences.
Prior to joining us at Shri Kali Ashram, Dr. Arun had been practicing at Dhanwantari Vaidyasala based in Thodupuzha, Ernakulam, Kerala (a pioneer Āyurvedic school group in Kerala since 1931) and Indus Valley Āyurvedic Center, Mysore, Karnataka (Center of Yoga and Āyurveda).
Dr. Arun's two assistants are also from Kerala and they help him with the various treatments offered at Shri Kali Ashram's medical center. These include Āyurvedic oil massage or Abhyanga अभ्यङ्ग, Shirodhara शिरोधर, and Pañcakarma पञ्चकर्म. They are available for Āyurvedic oil massage and Shirodhara by appointment throughout the week and Pañcakarma treatments are readily available by appointment and consultations made with Dr. Arun.